Friday, September 19, 2014

Some thoughts

I picked up the latest issue of Where Women Create Business today. Such an inspiring publication. I'm not even half way through and I've read informative and insightful articles by Kelly Rae Roberts,  Holly Becker, Lilla Rogers and others. And it's really making me feel like I need to kick it into high gear and get clear and focused with my blogging and business goals. I am totally unclear and unfocused right now. I just feel like I'm not putting my best self forward here on this blog, like I'm not working enough to develop this space. Same with my Etsy shop. Not that I'm being dishonest about anything, certainly not, just that I'm not digging deep enough. Yes, that's it- I feel like I'm not digging deep enough. BUT, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Reading Where Women Create Business on the front porch this evening with the sun and a glass of wine!

I started 2014 with a lot of creative energy and drive. I started this blog, created my website, and reopened my Etsy shop. I'm very proud of the work I've done and made, it's been a big year for me. I've sold more pieces art than I ever have before (although it is still a very very modest number of pieces) and I was even published in Somerset Studio! I set some goals for myself at the beginning of the year and I've accomplished a lot of them. I'm proud!

But then spring came and we moved, traveled the country, found a new place to live, got new jobs, and have been planning a wedding all the while. Don't get me wrong, all of the aforementioned things are good things, GREAT things. But I've lost some of my drive to develop my blog and business. I know that the number of transitions we have been experiencing the last 5 months have been many and that it is totally reasonable that my focus and energy have shifted. And, like I said, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I just hope that once we get married (2 weeks from today!) and settle into our jobs (by November maybe?) I can regain some of the ambition to develop my artistic voice and business vision.

Playing around in the studio this morning, trying to get out of wedding mode for at least a little while!

Ahh, it felt good to get that all out! It's yucky to feel like you aren't working hard or digging deep for something that you are passionate about and I'm glad I could express that. I'm glad, too, that I realize that it's ok right now. That life is full and busy and good and that I need to deal with all of this transition and experience it fully. I'll get back on track. I'm very grateful for all of the people I've met through blogging and through the art groups that I am a part of on Facebook. Good people, good support, and so much inspiration and I know they understand what I'm saying. If you are reading, thanks guys! xo

24 comments:

  1. I love your style...glad you are back. Don't be too hard on yourself. You have plenty of time to create! Also check out Alisa Burke...another inspirational artist that I think you will love!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by and reading! and thanks for the support! xo and i love alisa burke! she's so creative and prolific, so much inspiration. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Katie, this is Debbie, or Poulet Chateau, from Juliette's class. As I said on Facebook, I love your work. I love that I have found you early on in your career and that I can watch as you grow your business and find your way and your groove. You have so many beautiful and wonderful transitions going on in your life right now and they will all settle down soon, leaving you to focus on your art and your shop. It is so inspiring to watch other artists build their business and learn what works for them. My sister makes beautiful jewelry by hand from vintage and antique components and ephemera and her process is amazing to me. Watching her take her passion and dream and turn it into a profitable endeavor has been fun for me though frustrating at times for her.,,,,,,,setting up her studio space at her home, getting her jewelry into shows and galleries, networking, developing a website, taking photos of her pieces, making up a logo, the list goes on and on. But it is such a great feeling for her to see her dreams become realities and the pride she takes in her work. I don't know why I am going on and on about this, hahahaha. I just loved your work when I saw it on our class page and love that you are making something that is attainable to everyone to be able to enjoy. I wish you the very best in all that your beautiful future holds. And yes, don't beat yourself up, let these next two weeks leading up to your wedding be peaceful, relaxing and memorable and 3 weeks from now, you will be ready to focus on the next major milestones of your lovely life. Much love to you.
    XXOO
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. debbie,
      this is one of the nicest comments i've ever received on this blog! thank you for all of the kind things you say, it means a lot. that's great to hear about your sister growing her jewelry business, it truly is a labor of love. i am definitely starting to go in relax mode before the wedding. i just know if i have too many things to do the next week and a half i'll get a cold or a giant zit! haha. thanks for visiting and for the perspective on everything. glad we found each other! xx katie

      Delete
  3. I love that painting - there are seasons in life and you have a lot on your plate right now - just enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you thank you! "there are seasons in life" - yes, i love that. i'm throwing all stress out the window as i type this! :) xoxo have a great week.

      Delete
  4. How beautiful! Like an enchanting explosion of color and ideas all in one place. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, beth! i love to play with color- a non verbal language that makes us feel a lot, doesn't it?! thanks for stopping by xx katie

      Delete
  5. Hello! Very nice work and glad to see you have accomplished some of your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, danielle. it's always nice to reach a goal, isn't it? as long as we remember that the journey is just as important :) xo katie

      Delete
  6. Happy wedding planning! We are a week and a half from my daughter's wedding. It does take up quite a bit of time. Plus moving and new jobs and traveling..wow!!!!
    Your art work is beautiful and I hope you will be able to accomplish more.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, lynn! best of luck with the last minute wedding details and ENJOY the day. congrats to your daughter! xx katie

      Delete
  7. beautiful piece, congrats on being featured at PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, christine! hope you have a creative weekend! xx katie

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you're really busy! That art time out is much needed to clear the head and have time out! All the best for your special day!
    I love your art, this piece is a favourite,
    hugs
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, kat. yes, making art helps to relax and keep stress away! thanks for stopping by. xo katie

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, Katie! May you have all the happiness and fun in your life that you can possibly absorb! Keep on Creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much, penny. we are grateful to have each other! have a creative day! xo katie

      Delete
  10. Lovely work. Congratulations, Katie, for being chosen to be the PPF artist of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a lot, faye! i hope you are well and enjoying the weekend. xo katie

      Delete
  11. I was excited to read this post since you are featured for today's PPF. I knew with the description given regarding this post, the words sounded familiar to me. Everything you wrote about digging deep enough or focusing enough totally resonated with me. I have been doing art and blogging for 3 years now, all during some big health issues and all the stuff that goes with being unemployed, weekly doctor appts.,and staying with family and friends. Yet I know there is that part of me inside that feels exactly how you related your situation.

    Congrats on EVERYTHING, wow! Moving, new jobs and a getting married!!!! How exciting.

    BTW, I am new to FB. How do you find an art group on Facebook? Hugs and Happy PPF on 9/26. Rasz #53

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by and reading, rasz. it's nice to know that you know what i'm talking about! i do hope though that your health is getting better. as for Facebook groups, the one open group that i am a part of is called magically mixed art community. you should look into it! the other groups are private groups that are connected to classes that i took. hope you have a nice weekend! xx katie

      Delete
  12. COngrats to both of you in your wedding!
    Lovely colors in your art, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the kind words and for stopping by and reading! have a great weekend! xx katie

      Delete