Monday, May 19, 2014

Pinwheels, country walks, anxiety, and ice cream

It's been chilly out at camp since Friday. The camp itself it shrouded by big pine trees and not much direct sunlight comes in through the windows so it doesn't warm up too much inside. We've had the space heaters going and we even had a fire the other evening. I've been keeping busy making art and I'm still not tired of it! I made three pinwheel pieces yesterday and today. They are something I go back to every now and then.

We had another great walk today. Even though I've spent so much time out here I still can't get over how beautiful the landscape is. It's been fun taking photos on these walks. I'm going to use them in a book I'm going to make that will document our month out here. I have some ideas for the book structure and layout and I'm getting excited to start experimenting with it!



Despite our days filled with art making and beautiful walks I'm feeling a bit of anxiety lately. It seems to set in sometime in the afternoon and last through bedtime. Ugh. I'm sure it's related to our move and all the changes and uncertainties that come with it, but it doesn't feel good! I wake up so refreshed and excited in the morning. Then, by late afternoon I start to feel yucky and then anxious. I try to take deep breaths, remember to say some positive affirmations, and talk with Tyler but it's just been consistently showing up lately. I will work through it, I know. Anyone have any anxiety relieving tips to share? To be honest, my strategy this evening was to get out of the house, drive into town, and get chocolate peanut butter ice cream. A change of the evening routine and a treat, I think it's helping :)

Thanks for stopping by. xo

Shared to Creative Every Day

6 comments:

  1. Love the pinwheels, very cheering!

    When anxiety sets in for me I have to remember to be really kind to myself. For me what also helps is to make to-do lists. Without a list thoughts just creep in and problems feel insurmountable. With a list it's just a bunch of goals that I can work through. Much less scary!

    Hope you're able to deal with your anxiety and feel more positive soon. Also by the way, I think it's great that you feel good in the morning. You're so totally on your way =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris, thanks for the reminder to be kind to myself. I think I totally forget about myself in those moments- it would be good if I could remember to make some tea or go for a walk, etc. I really appreciate your support and I'm glad you like the pinwheels :) !! xo

      Delete
  2. I agree with Iris. I think you may even be feeling a little too lucky if that makes sense. Your inner critic might be saying things like "here I am, free to make art, who do I think I am, what about money, what about jobs, what about ..." and on and on. I would try to isolate exactly what sets off the anxiety. Are there any common patterns or common times of the day specifically? Then break your routine at those times. Meditate, go outside, drink a glass of water and really focus on it rehydrating you.

    Hope that helps!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sarah, the inner critic does get to me sometimes! I'm realizing that it's late afternoon/early evening when I start to feel crappy so I'm going to try to change things up a bit at that time of day, as you suggested. More walks, tea, blogging. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it xoxo.

      Delete
  3. Hi Katie, looks like Iris and Sarah have already supplies some good advice for dealing with anxiety. Nature tends to change my mood/perspective. Getting outdoors, some restful, quiet moments have been the most helpful to me. Observing God's creation and prayer always calm my restless soul. And the pinwheels are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Robyn, I'm seeing more and more how getting outside helps me. It's so calming to be out and see the spring unfold. And thanks for the compliment on the pinwheels :) xx

      Delete