Sunday, April 13, 2014

Inside a Process - banners and wall hangings

I just received a shipment of wood panels which I'm turning into banners and wall hangings. I spent the day yesterday making the first two and I'm very happy with how they turned out! Below is a look at the process of making a banner.

1. For this banner I used 5 3in x 3in panels. I collaged papers on top with a glue stick and used pencil and colored pencils to add more color and interest. Then used oil pastels, smudging them with my fingers, to cover each panel with color. Next I sealed each panel with a coat of Mod Podge.
2.  I then sorted through my collection of painted papers to see which ones might look good on top of my yellow panels.
 3. After I chose my papers and cut them to the desired size I decided to stamp the word "peace" onto some of the papers. I used Color Box ink and then embossing powder and a heat gun to emboss the letters.
4. Next I began to collage all of my painted papers together using Mod Podge. Two of the layers I also stitched together to add more texture and interest.

5. Then I used a drill with a very small drill bit to make holes in each of my yellow wood panels.
6. Next I collaged my layered stamped papers onto the wood panels.



7. I sprayed each panel with Low Odor Krylon Clear Fixative and let them dry for a couple of hours.
8. Once the panels were dry I used heavy hemp cord to string them together. Finished!
Here is a picture of another one, I added buttons when I strung this one together:
I have so many ideas for these banners and wall hanging and I hope to make many more over the coming months. Some with words, some with images, some that hang horizontally, some vertically. I'm excited to see how it goes!

Have a wonderful Sunday! Especially those of you coming from Paint Party Friday and Creative Every Day!

xo

12 comments:

  1. What a creative project! Wonderful banners.
    Happy PPF :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those banners are very pretty - lovely project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your kind words! xo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! Have a great weekend! xo

      Delete
  4. Great use of the wood pieces!
    a nice fresh outlook on the ever popular banners...
    yours look super...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely mixed media banners!
    Great tutorial!
    Wonderful Buried Treasure!
    All the best,
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, mary! i love your collaged dog- beautiful and impressive!!

      Delete
  6. Katie, thanks for sharing your process! These wood panels banners are adorable! love them- great Buried Treasures for sure!
    Jackie ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, jackie! your buried treasure post has got me wanting to use some stencils! xo

      Delete