Monday, March 10, 2014

Paper Love


 I am participating in the Paper Love Blog Hop hosted by Do What You Love. Here is my response as to why I love paper:

Why do I love paper? I don’t know if I’ve ever fully considered this question. And I don’t know if I can answer if fully either. I’ll give it my best shot.

I am a collage artist. I love that I can manipulate paper to create art. I paint it, rip it, cut it, glue it, stitch on it. I use paper to express myself creatively.

In my work I mostly use my own painted papers for both background and foreground. I use a variety of paper types- drawing paper, canvas paper, paper towels (a current favorite), watercolor paper, card stock, cardboard. And a variety of paints- acrylics, watercolors, gouache. I also like to journal right on top of my papers (writing in reverse/mirror writing scribbles!) with pencil and colored pencils. Gesso is a favorite to add to paper as well. The paper becomes a place where my emotions and thoughts pour out in a stream of consciousness manner. Both the writing and the painting are an expression of this stream of consciousness. I get it all out on the paper- the important and the mundane, the happy and the sad, the hopeful and the frustrating. So, the paper acts as a diary, a record keeper, a listener, a therapists couch. Paper does a lot of very important things for me! These papers tend to be my backgrounds.

There are other papers that I don’t write on but only paint on. This is a process of simply letting my intuition and mood choose colors and letting my senses enjoy the act of applying them to the paper. These are the papers that I cut and rip to adhere to my backgrounds.

I then begin the collage process of cutting or ripping small pieces, both are such satisfying acts! Lots of circle emerge, sometimes squares or rectangles, sometimes unnameable shapes. I then move them around my backgrounds until it feels right then I glue them down. (Side note- it is interesting to me that a lot of my choices in art making are based upon feeling and not on thoughts, does that make sense?)

Sometimes things come together nicely and I like the collage I just made. Other times I don’t like the piece as much. Of course it’s wonderful to have a piece that I love but if I don’t that’s ok too. Even if the end product isn’t enjoyable for me the process still was. And that is what I love the most, the process. I’ve come to understand that my process is very therapeutic for me, as it is for many artists. And I wouldn’t be able to have this therapeutic and joyful experience if it wasn’t for PAPER! So that is why I love paper.

**As I’m typing this I’m on an airplane flying from Brooklyn, NY to Naples, FL. Tyler and I are lucky enough to be going on a week’s vacation to visit family. Late last night as we were packing I realized that I hadn’t put together a travel art bag (something I always do for trips). I hurriedly threw a bunch of my painted papers, a glue stick, some colored pencils, tape, needles, thread and a small collage book into a plastic bag. Even though I am escaping the brutal winter to enjoy the beaches of Florida there is no way I am going a whole week without some of my papers!


Participant list
Majo Bautista / Tona Bell Louise Best Cathy Bluteau / Jennifer Bomgardner / Giova Brusa / Lindsay Buck / Beka Buckley / Joanna Caskie / Jonathan Chapman (Mr Yen) / Halle Cisco / Sarah Clare / Cathryn Clarge / Dawn Clarkson / Rhiannon Connelly Jenny D'Fuego / Molly Dhiman / Ian Dudley / Ayisatu Emore / Akmal Farid / Monika Forsberg / Claire Fritz-Domeney / Louise Gale / Chrissy Gaskell / Julie Hamilton / Emma Hawman / Rachel Hazell / Holly Helgeson / Claudine Hellmuth / Kim Henkel / Sarah Hoffman / Joanne Hus / Paula Joerling / Beth Kempton / Julie Kirk / Eos Koch / Katie LaClair / Kristy Lankford / Michelle Manolov / Doreen Marts Rosie Martinez-Dekker / Tori Mears / Maria Mederios / Lise Meijer / Debbie Miller / MaryJane Mitchell / Suzy Naidoo / Grace Noel / Hannah Nunn / Camilla Olsson / Jo Packham / Rachelle Panagarry / Monette Pangan / Melanie Paul Nicole Piar / Jen Pitta / Liz Plummer Julie Reed / Michelle Reynolds / Lisa Rivas Angee Robertson / Natalie Ryan / Aisling Ryan / Elisabet Sapena / Kyrrha Sevco / Jamie Sprague / Elizabeth Steele / Terri Stephens / Juniper Stokes / Mary Tanana / Maike Thoma / Linda Tieu Gabrielle Treanor / Tammy Tutterow / Deborah Velasquez / Jordan Vinograd Kim / Cat Whipple / Brooke Witt / Katie Wood Amelia Woodbridge

The PaperLove Blog Hop is a celebration of all things paper! Follow the links to discover more bloggers who love paper and use it to inspire and delight. And if you want to explore a whole world of paper, and stretch your paper passion further with a host of creative projects, why not join the innovative new online course PaperLove (starts March 31). Led by book artist Rachel Hazell, PaperLove is a five week creative adventure for paper lovers. Find out more here. [In your post please link 'here' to http://www.paperphilia.co.uk/paperlove ]


 Also shared to Creative Every Day

13 comments:

  1. I so love doing this blog hop. So nice to read about every once love for paper. Thank you for sharing yours.

    Ill make sure to come back another day for more.

    /Camilla Olsson - also in the blog hop www.camillaolssonart.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Camilla! I've yet to get a chance to read everyone's posts but I'm looking forward to it! Have a great day, Katie

      Delete
  2. I am a paper artist who didn't know about the blog hop in time, but now... you are reminding me to connect with everyone. And you know, my art on Creative Every Day is usually paper art, also. Happy Happy for that. I love seeing your art today, too. Paper towel art is AMAZING! :-) Your work makes me smile. Enjoy Italy! My daughter leaves at the end of this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, hopefully there are more paper blog hops in our future!! Have a lovely day and safe travels to your daughter xo Katie

      Delete
  3. Have a good trip! I sometimes take more art supplies than clothes and then spend all my time taking photographs and not making anything but you just never know how you will feel when you get there. {*}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! My art bag has yet to be put to use as sitting in the sun and fresh air has been the priority! But, as you say, you never know! Xo Katie

      Delete
  4. I just wrote a blog about layering with collage elements and paint and how it is a metaphor for life as well. Happy to be introduced to your work on Creative Every Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! I'll be sure to check out your post!
      Xo katie

      Delete
  5. Have a great vacation and thanks for blog hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was such a thrill to be a part of this blog hop. I loved sharing my love of paper and the craft of decoupage with everyone. and even more excited to read about everyone else’s. #paperlove #bloghop In the blog hop – http://www.designfivestudio.blogspot.in/2014/03/for-love-of-paper.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this blog hop. I too travel with a baggie of paper scraps and glue. Ha! Hope you had a great, creative trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. I think we feel more secure with a baggie of paper and glue always at hand :)

      xo Katie

      Delete