Monday, March 24, 2014

Big changes big transitions

Well, I've got news to share. This announcement has been a long time coming, these plans a long time in the making. Tyler and I are moving out of New York City in just over a month! We are headed north to Syracuse, my hometown, to begin a new adventure there.

I've lived in New York City for just under 6 years and it is time to part ways. It's been an amazing place to be and I will miss it. Two very significant things happened to me while living in New York. The first is that I realized that I am an artist while living here. And the second is that I met the man who I will love for the rest of my life. I will forever be grateful to this city for helping me find art and find Tyler. Now we are ready for a slower pace of living, more space, and to be closer to family.


It took us a while to decide upon living in Syracuse but once we made the decision it felt really good. A lot of my family is still in Syracuse- my parents, several of my brothers, and all of my nieces and nephews. I also have many good friends there. Tyler is also close with my family and friends. We felt, especially since we are starting our married life in October, that the place we move to needs to include a supportive and loving community of family and friends.

However, we are going to take some time for ourselves before jumping into life and job searching in the Salt City. We have decided to spend the month of May at my parent's cabin and use that time as a sort of creative retreat. We both have a lot of creative projects that we want to work on and having a solid chunk of time and space to do that is a total dream come true. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS! We have been planning over the last several months so we can make this happen and it looks like we are good to go. We will then spend some time in June traveling, visiting Tyler's family in Minnesota, attending a wedding, and going to a shower being held for us. Sometime in July we'll make it back to Syracuse and start searching for jobs. It's going to be quite the spring and summer!

There are so many good things going on and, even though they are good, they are overwhelming. We are packing and cleaning, saying goodbye to New York City and all of our friends here, picking caterers, dealing with the landlord, leaving our jobs, scheduling dress fittings, renting a uhaul, getting in doctor's appointments before we (possibly) don't have health insurance, organizing the rehearsal dinner, figuring out what we want to put on our wedding registry (shoot me), etc. And we are both still working hard to keep up our creative practices. There is so much. I'm not complaining though. Because I truly am grateful for all of this- for New York, for Syracuse, for wedding planning, for a chance to take some time to ourselves, for all of our friends and family.

I know the next month is going to be full of emotions, a full range of emotions. There will be highs and lows and good days and bad. But it will all be worth it. We are ready to take the next big step in our lives and we are doing it! We have done the work and taken the small steps to get here and we are moving forward. I'm very proud of us and excited for our adventure.

I'm also proud and excited to share the newest items up in my Etsy shop. Note cards and prints! Please check them out.

Shared to Creative Every Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment