Monday, February 3, 2014

Change

I was going to write this weekend but I wasn't feeling it. I want to write frequently and consistently on this blog but I certainly don't want to force anything. So, no words from me for almost a week. It's snowing again today. This is the snowiest of my six winters in New York City. For sure. When Tyler and I woke up just after 6 it was snowing and it's still coming down now, at 4 o'clock. I did some errands this morning and it was tough maneuvering around on the slushy sidewalks. Getting the groceries back to the apartment was a workout! Now I'm home, cozy inside with some tea. I finished up a collage that I started last night:



Materials used: watercolors, gouache, gesso, acrylics, pencil, colored pencil, papers. It's 5in x 7in on a wood board. It's called "change". It seems that houses and the word "home" are a big thing for me lately. Maybe they are always a big symbol for me, this blog is called Back Home Art. There are a lot of changes going on so I'm not surprised that this collage turned out to have the word "change" in it. I'm trying to process and welcome the changes. It can be hard, even when the changes are good! Art is my therapy for sure.

I'm going to share this over on Creative Every Day and Paint Party Friday- another blog group that I heard about from Linda of heARTfully inspired by Linda. Thanks, Linda!

10 comments:

  1. Really interesting colors! That pop of red is great :) I am always searching for words too. If it was just up to the art it would be much easier for me. Thanks for sharing!

    Happy Paint Party Friday! I'm so late but I wanted to share my new site. My Sis went into labor Friday and had her baby on Saturday. Yay!

    http://cardmakingartists.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tam,

      Thanks for the compliments! Yes, the writing can be difficult at times but I think that it is good for us, helps us to "curate" what our thoughts and feeling about our art are. I LOVE making cards (I'm in the middle of making lots of valentine's cards for my family!) so I will definitely keep my eye on http://cardmakingartists.blogspot.com . looking forward to seeing how your blog unfolds!

      Katie

      Delete
    2. This is beautiful. Wonderful use of materials.
      Nicole/Beadwright

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Nicole! I appreciate you stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Loved this one. Loved the theme.

    When the government finally pays me for my last case, I'll be headed to your Etsy shop for something inspiring to put up near my writing desk. I can't wait.

    Here's a little encouragement for today from one of my blog friends. She says, "life is about living in a way that inspires others to come alive." You're certainly doing that through your words and work, Katie.

    http://godsizeddreams.com/art-is-not-a-thing-its-a-way-of-life/#comments

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, your kind words, encouragement, and support really made my day. Honestly, I've been having a crappy, crabby, anxiety-ridden day and reading your comment really helped to snap me out of it. THANK YOU. Thanks for the quote and the link to the blog- I will most definitely read that post. I hope that your day was good and that your evening is relaxing and warm!

      Katie

      Delete
  3. Love your back ground and wonderful texture! My daughters boss took 35 hours to get back from NY to B.C. Canada and ruined her boots trying to maneuver the sidewalks too!! Funny to read this post after she just told me that! Pretty work!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! That sounds like a horrible ordeal getting back to B.C. Not everyone here in NYC owns a shovel so when it snows many a sidewalk remain covered. And all of the street corners are giant slushy puddles! Fun! I hope her ruined boots weren't her favorite pair!

      xx Katie

      Delete